Smooth jazz played in the background. The light flickered, close to giving out. I sat at my mahogany desk, cigarette in mouth. I leaned back in my chair, putting my feet on my desk and pulling my fedora over my eyes. I had just finished a case, and decided to return to my own personal case. The hunt was a dead end as per usual. The hunt for the serial killer only known as 'Wraith'.
I lit another cigarette, deciding to lose myself in my own world. It was time to review the evidence.
My name is Darth. I am a private investigator, taking on cases to make a living. Many call me a genius. I just refer to myself as perceptive.
However, there has always been one quarry who has escaped my eye- Wraith. Some think he is nothing but an old wives' tale. Just a rumour floating around town. But I have seen his handiwork myself. Seen his M.O., and I have made it my mission to find him no matter what. I crushed the cigarette on accident since this case was so frustrating. No matter what, whether it be in an alley or a rooftop. He never let any evidence except his calling card. A calling card only I had noticed. A calling card that no one else ever noticed. He always killed with six cuts to the body. And those six cuts always aligned to make a star. It didn't matter where they were on the body. They always made a star.
Soon, the twilight ended and darkness fell on my hometown. I had been prowling the streets for the past three nights, since Wraith only ever appeared at night. Scouring every little nook and cranny, even for one tiny clue. But as usual, I had dead-ended. He truly did live up to his name.
However, tonight was a relaxed night. I was caught up on all my work too. I made myself some hot coffee. I lit another cigarette, and sat down to read my book, 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'. The book itself was so beautifully written that it demands nothing but my complete attention. Anything less would never suffice.
Soon enough, exhaustion overcame me. My eyes started to close on their own. Finally, I let myself go, and sleep overtook me.
As soon as I fell asleep, Wraith awoke.
Comments
Post a Comment