The 2nd Step- Part 1

This ground beneath our feet is not constant. It too is ravaged by the endless tides of time, as the world becomes smaller and smaller. Each second, a bit more of the Aeon crumbles away, lessening the amount of space that we humans can live in. The Edge leads to the Abyss, and the Abyss leads to the afterlife. That is the one true constant in this constantly shifting and changing world. 
I trudged through the barren landscape, the wind blowing the hem of my cloak open. As I stared into the dystopia surrounding me, I lost myself in my memories. This was once a lush, verdant place, teeming with life. Now, it was nothing but brown. The hills, once covered with dense thickets, now lay eroded, the skeletons of trees poking out of them. The wind, once clear and clean, now blew dust in great gusts across the landscape. Truly a shame to see my homeland be reduced to such an ashen-coloured land.
I looked down at the holo map glowing faintly on my wrist. "I am close now," I thought to myself as I bent down. I took off my backpack and opened it. Inside was my special gear- a grappler with extra hooks, gravity boots and my visor. After taking my gear out, I unclasped my cloak and took it off. Underneath, my lean, muscled body pulsed as I grew more and more excited. I equipped my gear and stowed my cloak into my backpack. It was time to scavenge, for I am an Edgerunner, a person who risks their life to gather resources from the crumbling edges of the world. But we all know the true purpose that Edgerunners exist- the rush, the feeling of being alive. 
The adrenaline had already started coursing through my body as I reached the edge of Norvgard. This city once expanded across the horizon, so huge that you had to be at least a dozen kilometres away to lose sight of it. Now, it was no more than a pile of rubble falling into the Abyss. Major chunks of it were already gone by the time I had arrived, but there was still enough for a run at it. I stretched my body thoroughly and switched on my visor. This allowed me to see various things, such as the energy left in my gravity boots, or where to aim to get a hit with my grappler. However, Edgerunning is not so simple that anyone can do it. It requires elegance, grace, and precision unseen in any but a soldier. That too a good one. But most of all, Edgerunning requires guts. To be able to stand at the Edge of the world, look into the Abyss and smile as you grapple away to a new location, this is not something that a common person can do. Some people call us Edgerunners lunatics. To be honest, no one sane would ever undertake this. With this thought looming in my head, I smiled and took off at full speed, heading straight towards the heart of the city, fearless as a lion.

Comments

Popular Posts