The 2nd Step- Part 2

The ground streaked across my vision as I raced along with loping strides. Some Edgerunners form groups, but I am more of a lone wolf. The adrenaline had already taken over, and I had entered the zone. My ever-present smirk had probably turned into that feral, primitive smile that other Edgerunners had attached to my name. 
I ran among the buildings, not even bothering to check the first few blocks. The  Edgerunners would have ransacked it months ago. No, I ran straight to the heart of the city, the part teetering on the Edge, slowly crumbling more and more into the Abyss as time passes. It is here that the rich lived, and here that I would find anything worth any real value. When Norvgard was first discovered by the Edgerunners, the Edge had already reached halfway through the sprawling city. Ideally, most cities have their noble factions and important personnel living at the edge of the city which is away from the Edge of the world. This allows them to escape first. However, Norvgard was an old-fashioned city, not yet adapted to the new way of living. Hence, the centre of the city was also its heart. This made Norvgard a gold mine for us Edgerunners.
Novice Edgerunners are plenty in number, and most don't have a grasp of being an actual Edgerunner. These greenhorns only run the far edge of the cities, not even venturing further in. This is because they are afraid of the Abyss, and what it brings. However, there are some. Some like me, who accept the Abyss for what it is, and welcome it with open arms. The elite faction of the Edgerunners, the Vanguard. 
The houses suddenly gave way and opened into a huge park. Now completely overgrown, it looked nothing like the prim and maintained park of my memories. Now, it looked more natural. With an abundant groundwater supply, this one part of the city had flourished, making it a botch of green among a sea of steel grey and ashen brown. The undergrowth was too thick to actually pass through, so I decided to use my grappler. As I approached it, I fired the hook onto a thick branch of an elm tree and swung up. Skilled Edgerunners can use the same grappling hook multiple times before having to replace it, and I have a reputation of being the best grappler around. I swung further and further until I finally let go and burst through the canopy. For a split second, the entire city spread out below me. The once-grand city was now being reduced to nothing but rubble. It was just more fodder to feed the never-ending hunger of the Abyss. It brought forth a sorrow in me I hadn't felt since my grandmother had died.
The monotony of swinging through the dense thicket, sometimes using my grappler, other times the vines growing from the trees, made me lose myself in my thoughts. I had come to this very park so much as a child, climbing these trees, swinging from the branches and laughing with glee. To be able to do it once more after all these years made my childhood come back to me in a flood. Even the parts I had tried so hard to repress. It brought a tear to my eye, the agony I had faced as a mere seven-year-old.
Suddenly, I had nothing left to swing on. I was out of the forest and had not even realised it. One good thing about being an Edgerunner- you get used to the panic. I calmly twisted in midair and used my grappler on the closest tree. I pulled myself towards the tree and struck the trunk feet first. Gently lowering myself, I turned around to behold the sight I was sure to see. An avenue of grand skyscrapers spread across my vision, and my smile became even more intense.




Comments

Popular Posts