The 3rd Step- Part 2
I walked to the mirror in the bathroom, just to get a good look at myself and order my thoughts. It's basically a routine at this point. I looked into the mirror, and flashed my feral smile. It was gonna be a rather fun night tonight. I walked back out to the desk, and glanced through what my counterpart was currently investigating. It seemed to be papers regarding my existence, as per usual. "Oh my, oh my. It seems like the little lamb is coming closer to the truth. How very exciting!" I thought to myself.
My dearest counterpart had fallen asleep early, only 11 o'clock. I decided that I needed a good drink, and went over to grab my coat from the rack. I left his favourite fedora behind. Not my style. I did take his pack of cigarettes though.
I quietly went down the rickety stairs, not wanting to wake the dear old landlady of ours. She really was the sweetest. Always offered tea when we went to visit. She even supplied us with home-made biscuits when we ran out. I would have just loved to slit her throat and watch terror engulf her face. Oh, how it made me tingle! But, I let her live. For him of course. Everything is for him.
As I exited the front door, I lit a cigarette. Taking a long puff, I released it into the cold autumn air of Londinium. The cobbled path in front of our house ran straight to a little market. At the corner of that market is a pub. Rowdy, rambunctious and loud, it's the life of our district. It's also my current destination.
I entered the pub and immediately headed to the bar to order a scotch. Neat of course. Since he was a regular here and at many places I visited, I was used to disguising myself as him. I had gotten so good that no one could even tell it was me. If he had a wife, even she wouldn't be able to tell. The barkeep, an oldish man by the name of Artur, was a stern fellow. Always with a frown on his face. However, he meant good. As he turned his back to prepare my order, I admired how broad it was. Apparently, he used to be a farmer before he shifted to the city to pursue his dream of starting a bar. The temptation to slice open his spine just to see the fear in his eyes as he was paralysed. Oh god, it was enough to make my mouth water.
I quickly downed three drinks, paid and tipped him, and walked out. I liked to look at everyone's faces while I leave any place, just to imagine what I would do to them. I took a few turns and entered a dark alley. Suddenly, I leant against the wall and started panting. My imagination was getting the better of me. I had almost let slip my smile in there, a smile which anyone could have told did not belong to my counterpart. Because this was a smile coated in the purest bloodlust around.
After a few hours, I returned to our house and went to sleep. When my counterpart awoke, he went about business as usual. That is, until he heard of the body of a young lady found in an alley. Murdered, with six cuts all over her corpse.
Comments
Post a Comment