The 3rd Step- Part 5

A voice. Whose is it? Wait. Did it just say Wraith? Wraith...is inside me? No. Am I Wraith? No. Am I what I vowed to destroy? No. How could this be? No. I am... a murderer? No no no. NO.
I forced my eyes shut. I couldn't face the scene in front of me. But when I did shut them, his face popped up in front of me. My face. Our face. I tore at my hair, banging against the walls. I pushed the door open and tripped on the stairs. My chin scraped the sidewalk, and I rolled around, scratching my body everywhere. The night was cold enough to freeze my blood. The void inside me was colder. Hatred. Rage. Confusion. Despair. From these the void blossomed, consuming my soul. Leaving nothing behind. I stood up. My body felt like a lifeless husk. The light dimmed from my eyes. Then, the voice rang out once more.
"This was unexpected. How delightful!"
"You're not real," I said.
"We truly belong together."
"No."
"You know we do. Oh, how it makes me surge with joy!"
"SHUT UP!"
"I shall always be by your side."
Then once again, it faded. My hand was wet. A crimson sheen coated it. Blood. My fist was clenched so hard that my nails had drawn blood. The pain helped me come to my senses. I was sitting on the pavement, curled up into a little ball, rocking back and forth senselessly. I stood up and saw a couple on the other side of the road staring intently at me. The woman was clutching her partner's arm hard. Out of fear I presume. My interaction must not have been in my head then I guess. Stalking away from the front door to my house, I lit a cigarette. House. Mrs Baker. Oh god, what had I done? I was a monster.
"No darling, your partner is. I am. You are just destined to catch me."
My head suddenly started pounding hard and fast. I staggered, falling to my knees. 
"Wraith you bastard. Show yourself."
"But my dearest Darth, I have. Every day of your life. We are one, are we not?"
"No, we are not."
"From now on, when you look in the mirror, how will it feel? How will it feel to have the face of a murderer? How will it feel like being a murderer?"
"I won't feel anything."
A loud bang echoed through the quiet nighttime streets of Londinium, resounding like thunder in my ears. The cocked gun fell with the body, and as the light finally left my eyes, my shadow smiled at me.

Comments

Popular Posts